Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Gratitude

Gratitude.  I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  Mostly because I have been feeling very ungrateful.  Life has just been crazy for it seems like way too long and it is so easy to focus on the things you are lacking or the things you wish you could change.  My husband Blake started his masters last fall the same week our first son was born.  Blake was so busy working hard for us in school and with work that he was gone a lot and I felt so overwhelmed as a new mom.  I kept thinking it would get better, but then tax season started and he was gone even more.  Having him leave early each morning and get home late each night was wearing on us both.  During those long lonely days at home with our sweet, but very busy little boy, I would sometimes start to feel sorry for myself and had a hard time focusing on all that I had been blessed with.  It kinda came as a slap in the face the last few weeks as I listened to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' General Conference and heard one of the leaders of the church talk about the importance of gratitude.  President Dieter F. Uchtdorf talked about how important it was to be grateful even when we may not feel like we have a lot to be grateful for.  In in his talk he said, 
 "Everyone’s situation is different, and the details of each life are unique. Nevertheless, I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious. We can be grateful! It might sound contrary to the wisdom of the world to suggest that one who is burdened with sorrow should give thanks to God. But those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude can find a purifying drink of healing, peace, and understanding."

How simple but powerful that is!! It definitely was something I needed to hear.  I realized that I was unhappy so much of the time because I wasn't choosing to focus on being grateful for all that my Heavenly Father had blessed me with.
 
I also have been reading a book this last week about a woman that went through a tragic accident but has become stronger because of it.  She chose to focus on the positive when it would have been so much easier not to. I kept thinking, if she can be positive after all she's been through, why can't I??  I started to think more about the things I am so grateful for and I realize I have SO many!! I decided if I wrote them down maybe I would do better at recognizing all that I've been blessed with.  So that is my idea for this blog.  I really don't know how to blog, but I'm determine to figure this out and to really focus on how very good life is. 

So today I'm grateful it's the end to tax season!! After marrying an accountant, I think April 15th will become a holiday in my family!! It was crazy to me how much I used to take having Blake home on Saturdays for granted, until he was no longer home on Saturdays.  Last weekend he was able to come home by around lunch time on Saturday and I can't tell you how much I loved it. We did yard work, took Robbie to the doctor, fixed up things around the house, and did laundry together and I have never enjoyed those things so much! It's funny how much I have to be grateful for but just don't always realize it until it's no longer there.


I'm very grateful for my two boys that I can never seem to get enough time with. But I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.
Robbie is so glad his daddy is home!!! Happy April 15th!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Welcome to the bandwagon. This is a beautiful idea for a blog. And you have a beautiful family. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete